Education and Outreach
CASA creates a powerful opportunity to affect the future direction of engineering education and outreach, including lifelong learning.
CASA's education and outreach vision evolved from the recognition of the challenges and realities we face in educating the next generation of engineers and scientists. Engineers will be required to develop a more sophisticated understanding of complex engineered systems and their potential in the service of humanity. Dealing with complexity, understanding societal impact, effective leadership and cross-disciplinary teaming among diverse groups - these will be hallmarks of successful future engineers, and along with the obvious appeal of weather and the Internet-are all elements intrinsic to CASA's research problem and thus shape our strategic plan for education and educational outreach.
CASA's agenda for implementing its education and outreach vision has local, state, and national impact, with partnerships spanning K-12 through lifelong learning.
The goals are to:
- deliver meaningful professional development for K-12 teachers;
- create a national dialogue with other states on policy, standards, and assessment for K-12 engineering curricula;
- develop, pilot, and disseminate innovative, interdisciplinary curricula for undergraduate and graduate students by leveraging instructional technology;
- provide opportunities for inter-level research teams, emphasizing collaborative work across disciplines and universities;
- develop partnerships and curricula that increase diversity within the engineering pipeline; and
- educate the public and key decision-making personnel on the results of this ERC.